E KOMO MAI!!!
“Hi Stephen! Thank you again for the wonderful class today! I learned so much about my new camera and I cannot wait to practice the new skills! I look forward to signing up for more classes with you. Thank you. –Haneen” (So You Just Bought a New DSLR/SLR, Now What?)
ALOHA and welcome to Stephen Dantzig’s Hawaii School of Photography! We are Hawaii’s only full service photography school that is devoted to commercial photography. Hawaii School of Photography has a program/course for you whether you want to learn how to take better photographs with your point and shoot camera, further develop your understanding of more advanced camera mechanics, learn basic lighting techniques, or advance yourself as a professional photographer. We provide opportunities for you to learn photography in studio or on location here in Paradise as well as offer on-line courses and books/ebooks. You will also find Photoshop lessons, tutorials and courses here. Looking for FREE tips? No problem. Click here to visit our free lessons page! Links to our Newsletters are also on the free lessons page. See our class schedule below or follow the Classes drop down menu for a quick guide to beginner, intermediate and advanced workshops! Please check individual class pages for tuition information. Mahalo!
NEXT LIGHTING CLASS APRIL 28th, 2013: OUTDOOR LIGHTING featuring Sharon Sanchez!
NEW EBOOKS!!! Professional Makeovers for Photographers, Models and Make-up Artists; Photographing Swimwear: Lighting, Composition and Post-production AND On the Set and Behind the Scenes. Each only $10.00 plus tax. NOW Available in the bookstore!
Gift Certificates are now available in the bookstore!
Hawaii School of Photography now accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express!
Our classes are by far the best value, but Hawaii School of Photography proudly announces the ultimate in one-on-one photographic education. Private classes are available in blocks of 3-hours for $450.00 per block plus tax. Model fees, if applicable, start at $100.00 per hour plus tax with a two hour minimum.
Ask about 15% Kama’aina/Military and Alumni Tuition Discounts on all classes except the Oahu Tours! Please note that tuition discounts are based on payment by cash or check. Discounts cannot be combined and are not valid with other offers. There will be a returned check of $40.00. 50% of the tuition for any class plus all model fees are required to reserve your spot in a class. Model fees are non-refundable. Tuition deposits are non-refundable within 72 hours of class.
Schedule of classes for January to April 2013. More classes especially at the intro levels will be added. Class dates subject to change. All classes require a minimum of three students to run and some require more than three. Please see class details for more information.
NOTE: MODELS FOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON AVAILABILITY!
1) Would you like to keep it simple and learn how to create better images with your point and shoot (yes, even your phone-camera)? If so then this two-hour bare basics workshop is for you. We’ll cover simple composition guidelines and talk about ways to avoid bad light situations. Details here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/create-better-photographs-with-your-point-and-shoot-camera/
Next Point and Shoot Workshops: TBA at Queen Kapiolani Botanical Gardens in Waikiki (space is extremely limited). OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS!
2) Are you wondering how to work the new Digital SLR camera that you got for the holidays? We will host a three hour overview where you will learn how to find the key controls on your camera and what they do for you. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/so-you-just-got-a-dslr-or-slr-camera-now-what/
So, You Just Got a New DSLR Camera? Now What? Saturday June 29, 2013 from 11AM to 2PM; Sunday June 23 2013, from 2PM to 5PM are available at Queen Kapiolani Botanical Gardens in Waikiki (space is extremely limited). OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS! More dates coming soon!
3) Are you looking for a class that is a little more in depth? Our Introduction to Digital Photography Class is a 12-hour program spread over 4 weeks that will turn you from a “snap shooter” into an image creator! Details here!http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/photography-1-the-basics/
The next Introduction to Digital Photography class will be held on Mondays June 17, 24, July 1 and 8, 2013 from 6 to 9PM in my Downtown Studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Minimum 3 students required!
4) Join us as we explore Hawaii’s amazing Koolau Mountain Range and visit Little Makapuu Beach for a beautiful photo excursion through Hidden Oahu! Details here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/level-one-photography-tours-and-excursions-through-beautiful-hidden-oahu/
Oahu Photo Tour NEXT DATE TBA from 9:00AM until approximately 2PM–meet at Ho’omaluhia Botanical Gardens Visitors Center parking lot. Minimum 10 people required, so the tour does not run very often, however PRIVATE TOURS ARE AVAILABLE at a higher tuition!
5) NEW CLASS! Introduction to Flash Photography! Join Stan Cox II as he unravels the mysteries of using your flash on-camera and off! Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/introduction-to-flash-photography/
The next Introduction to Flash Photography Workshop will be held on: EMAIL if you are interested—minimum of 4 students required.
6) Photoshop can be a daunting program for newcomers. Don’t fret: We’ve all been there. Our Introduction to Photoshop: Finding Your Way will show you where to find your tools, palettes and filters and briefly introduce the most commonly used features. We’ll have you up and running in no time! Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/introduction-to-the-photoshop-workspace/
Introduction to the Photoshop Workspace: Finding Your Way NEXT DATE Saturday January 26, 2013 from 10AM to 1PM in my Downtown studio on Nuuanu Avenue.
7) Our very popular “Little Lights” class returns with Stan Cox II at the helm for those of you looking to produce professional quality images with speedlights or other small light sources. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/little-lights-big-impact/
Little Lights BIG Impact EMAIL if you are interested—minimum of 4 students required.
8) Retouching and Post-production is a fact of life in the digital world. Our Introduction To Photoshop Image Enhancement (AKA Retouching) will show you some of our favorite techniques from color correction to removing blemishes or other distractors to working with Layer Masks and multiple “exposures” in the Camera Raw interface to combining images and other goodies! Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/introduction-to-photoshop-retouching/
Introduction to Photoshop Image Enhancement (Retouching) FOUR hour class! Next session: Saturday January 26, 2013 from 2PM to 6PM in my Downtown studio on Nuuanu Avenue.
9) One of our most popular intermediate/advanced classes returns in November as we go through the logistics of working with and posing models. The class features a simple lighting set-up and a two hour shoot with Sharon Sanchez. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/working-with-models/
Working with Models Next Workshop: Wednesday February 6, 2013 from 6 to 9:30PM in my studio downtown on Nuuanu
10) We are extremely proud to announce the introduction of our Intermediate Level Photography: Introduction to Light–What it is and How it Works. Photography is the recording of light. This 4 hour program will introduce you to the fundamentals of light and what you need to know to be able to make it work for you–regardless of what you want to photograph. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/36-2/
Intermediate Photography: Introduction to Light Sunday February 24, 2013 from 2 to 6PM in my Downtown studio on Nuuanu Avenue.
11) Join Stan Cox II while he shows you his tricks for successfully posing couples, families and groups. NOTE: This class requires a minimum of five participants. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/posing-couples-families-and-groups/
Posing Couples, Families and Groups DATE TBA Location TBA NOTE–This class requires a minimum of 5 students. Please email me if you are interested and we will schedule the class when we have at least five participants.
12) NEW CLASS: Introduction to Studio Lighting Learn the basic of light as it applies to studio lighting situations! Class features a live shoot with Ashlee Kozuma!
Introduction to Studio Lighting Next Workshop February 23, 2013 from 10AM to 6PM in my Downtown studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Details Here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/introduction-to-studio-lighting/
13) Creating beautiful fashion images and portraits outdoors all day is a major challenge. Learn how to control natural light and build a lighting set-up that will guarantee great photographs every time—with and without strobes. 8-hour class features a three-hour supervised photo shoot with our beautiful model Sharon Sanchez. OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS!
Outdoor Lighting Next Workshop Sunday April 28, 2013 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM. Morning session in my studio on Nuuanu and the afternoon session on location. Details here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/advanced-lighting-workshops/one-day-lighting-seminar-on-location/
14) Studio Lighting offers a multitude of opportunities for photographers. Our Fashion and Beauty Lighting Workshop will break down some of the ways that light works as applied to these two popular genres. You will about using studio strobes and reelectors to creates amazing images The class features a three-hour shoot with Ashlee Kozuma—one of Oahu’s top models!
Fashion and Beauty Lighting Next Workshop Sunday March 10, 2013 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Details here
15) Are you interested in glamour and boudoir photography? We have the perfect class for you! Our Glamour/Lingerie lighting class will teach you how to use different sized light sources to create the mood and visual interest to keep your viewer engaged in your image. We will also go over basic posing techniques that will flatter your model. The class features a three-hour shoot with our stunning model Naomye Leiza.
Glamour and Lingerie Lighting Next Workshop Sunday February 3, 2013 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Details here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/advanced-lighting-workshops/one-day-lighting-seminar-studio/
16) Studio Portrait Lighting is art form in its own right. Learn the basics here including lighting ratios, adding fill sources, working with reflectors, and simple but effective portrait lighting set-ups. Build your own sets and shoot with a live model for 3 hours!
Studio Portrait Lighting Next Workshop TBA from 10:00AM to 6:00PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Details here:
Models (from top down): Sharon Sanchez, Angelika Marr, Kaitlyn, Tasha Johnson, Angelika Marr, Thalia Ng, Lyndsay Chambers, Anna Easteden, Kat, Stephanie Reibel, (Skip), Naomye Leiza, Tasha Woodfall, Marisa Kellett, Kat, Sanna, Nikki, Monica Ivey, Kat, Apryle.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A 24 HOUR CANCELLATION POLICY. NO REFUNDS FOR CANCELLATIONS WITH LESS THAN 24 HOUR NOTICE.
SALES ON ONLINE COURSES, BOOKS AND EBOOKS ARE FINAL.