E KOMO MAI!!!
Thank you for conducting your “New DSLR” class. I learned a lot! As a retired teacher, principal and faculty member at the UH College of Education, I could see how you apply many of the best practices for effective teaching. Using analogies like windows, blinds, and doors in a room, having your classic Canon camera to demonstrate f stops, allowing us to practice what we just learned in the garden park, all helped to make it easier to understand iso, f stops, shutter speed and white balance.–Fran”
Mahalo Honolulu Awards Program and US Trade & Commerce Institute (USTCI)!
I wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your class! I have to admit I was a little skeptical about this class before attending. My very nature is to always have low assumptions unfortunately (The opposite of my wife). I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by your comprehensive knowledge about photography, and your ability to convey the fundamentals to us. Your description of how the light is bent by the glass in the lens and how that interaction with the aperture affects the depth of field really made a lot of sense to me. For me the most important thing was to understand how the light meter system worked on my camera. I head no idea how to adjust both the aperture and shutter speed in manual mode on my camera until you explained holding down the plus/minus button while turning the dial (Nikon). I will be shooting in manual mode a lot more often now!
Again, thanks for the great class. I might try to take one of the other classes you offer in the future!
“Hi Stephen! Thank you again for the wonderful class today! I learned so much about my new camera and I cannot wait to practice the new skills! I look forward to signing up for more classes with you. Thank you. –Haneen” (So You Just Bought a New DSLR/SLR, Now What?)
ALOHA and welcome to Stephen Dantzig’s Hawaii School of Photography! We are Hawaii’s only full service photography school that is devoted to commercial photography. Hawaii School of Photography has a program/course for you whether you want to learn how to take better photographs with your point and shoot camera, further develop your understanding of more advanced camera mechanics, learn basic lighting techniques, or advance yourself as a professional photographer. We provide opportunities for you to learn photography in studio or on location here in Paradise as well as offer on-line courses and books/ebooks. You will also find Photoshop lessons, tutorials and courses here. Looking for FREE tips? No problem. Click here to visit our free lessons page! Links to our Newsletters are also on the free lessons page. See our class schedule below or follow the Classes drop down menu for a quick guide to beginner, intermediate and advanced workshops! Please check individual class pages for tuition information. Mahalo!
CONTACT INFORMATION: PLEASE note that email is the best way to contact us with questions about classes or how to register!
BOOK YOUR CLASSES HERE: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/book-online/
Welcome AMAZON LOCAL, LIVING SOCIAL AND GROUPON members!! Please click on the DEALS tab above for instructions on how to redeem your certificates.
Any of our students who are ready to shoot your jobs have their own businesses and fee structures. I will be happy to forward any inquiries on to them with the understanding that they will share their fees and policies for conducting a photography business. Hawaii School of Photography offers no guarantee or warranty and accepts no liability for the work requested from or completed by our current or former students. The faculty of Hawaii School of Photography are also available for commercial shoots.
NEXT LIGHTING CLASS Outdoor Lighting JULY 27, 2014 from 10:00Am to 6:00PM in my studio downtown and on location
Schedule of classes for June to September 2014:
NOTE: MODELS FOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON AVAILABILITY! A minimum of three students is required for all classes except where noted (some classes require more students).
One on One Workshops:
Our classes are by far the best value, but Hawaii School of Photography proudly announces the ultimate in one-on-one photographic education. Private classes are available in blocks of 3-hours for $450.00 per block plus tax. Model fees, if applicable, start at $100.00 per hour plus tax with a two hour minimum. By Appointment.
Novice/Beginner Workshops (Find the details for your specific beginner class by using the Classes>Novice and Beginner drop down menu at the top of the page):
1) Are you wondering how to work the new Digital SLR camera that you got for the holidays? We will host a three hour overview where you will learn how to find the key controls on your camera and what they do for you.
So, You Just Got a New DSLR Camera? Now What? Saturday June 14, July 12, August 9, OR September 6, 2014 from 11AM to 2PM; Sunday June 29, July 20, August 31, OR September 28 from 2PM to 5PM at Queen Kapiolani Botanical Gardens in Waikiki (space is extremely limited). Minimum of 3 students required. OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS!
2) Are you looking for a class that is a little more in depth? Our 4-day 12-hour Introduction to Digital Photography class is an intense program that will take you from the “nasty green Auto” mode to understanding how and why to fully control your exposure settings in Manual Mode. We cover f-stops in detail, shutter speeds, ISO and how the three relate to each other. We talk about how to use your meter and cover motion as well as depth of field issues. Color concerns, lenses, perspeMondays September 8, 15, 22 and 29, 2014 from 6 to 9PM in my Downtown Studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Minimum 3 students required! ctive, and composition guidelines are also covered in detail. We go over issues relevant to protecting and understanding your digital files. Homework assignments allow you to practice what you have learned in class.
The next Introduction to Digital Photography class will be held on
3) Join us as we explore Hawaii’s amazing Koolau Mountain Range and visit Little Makapuu Beach for a beautiful photo excursion through Hidden Oahu!
Oahu Photo Tour
Regular, Kama’aina, Military and Alumni Tuition: 1-3 participants $450.00 (TOTAL, not per person); 4-6 participants $700.00; 7-10 participants $1,000.00 plus 4.712% GET
NEXT DATE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY from 9:00AM until approximately 2PM–meet at Ho’omaluhia Botanical Gardens Visitors Center parking lot.
4) NEW CLASS! Introduction to Flash Photography! Join Stan Cox II as he unravels the mysteries of using your flash on-camera and off!
The next Introduction to Flash Photography Workshop By Appointment. EMAIL if you are interested—minimum of 4 students required. We will schedule the class when we have at least four participants.
5) Retouching and Post-production is a fact of life in the digital world. Our Introduction To Photoshop Image Enhancement (AKA Retouching) will show you some of our favorite techniques from color correction to removing blemishes or other distractors to working with Layer Masks and multiple “exposures” in the Camera Raw interface to combining images and other goodies!
Introduction to Photoshop Image Enhancement (Retouching) FOUR hour class! Next session: Tentatively scheduled for Sunday June 15, 2014 from 11AM-3PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue Downtown.
INTERMEDIATE CLASSES (Find the details for your specific Intermediate class by using the Classes>Intermediate drop down menu at the top of the page):
6) Our very popular “Little Lights” class returns with Stan Cox II at the helm for those of you looking to produce professional quality images with speedlights or other small light sources.
Little Lights BIG Impact. By Appointment. EMAIL if you are interested—minimum of 4 students required.
7) We are extremely proud to announce the introduction of our Intermediate Level Photography: Introduction to Light–What it is and How it Works. Photography is the recording of light. This 4 hour program will introduce you to the fundamentals of light and what you need to know to be able to make it work for you–regardless of what you want to photograph.
Intermediate Photography: Introduction to Light Saturday July 19 OR September 13, 2014 from 10AM-2PM, SundayJune 8, OR August 3, 2014 from 1 to 5PM; at Queen Kapiolani Botanical Gardens in Waikiki (space is extremely limited). OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS!
8) Join Stan Cox II while he shows you his tricks for successfully posing couples, families and groups. NOTE: This class requires a minimum of five participants.
Posing Couples, Families and Groups By Appointment. EMAIL if you are interested—minimum of 5 students required. We will schedule the class when we have at least five participants.
9) NEW CLASS: Introduction to Studio Lighting Learn the basics of light as it applies to studio lighting situations with an emphasis on Portraiture! Class features a live shoot with Joan Dantzig!
Introduction to Studio Lighting JUNE 28, 2014: INTRODUCTION TO STUDIO LIGHTING featuring JOAN DANTZIG
10) One of our most popular intermediate/advanced classes returns in February 2014 as we go through the logistics of working with and posing models. The class features a simple lighting set-up and a two hour shoot with Sharon Sanchez.
Working with Models Next Workshop: TBA in my studio downtown on Nuuanu
ADVANCED CLASSES (Find the details for your specific Advanced class by using the Classes>Advanced drop down menu at the top of the page):
11) Creating beautiful fashion images and portraits outdoors all day is a major challenge. Learn how to control natural light and build a lighting set-up that will guarantee great photographs every time—with and without strobes. 8-hour class features a three-hour supervised photo shoot with our beautiful model TASHA JOHNSON. OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS!
Outdoor Lighting Next Workshop SUNDAY JULY 27, 2014 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM. Morning session in my studio on Nuuanu and the afternoon session on location.
12) Studio Lighting offers a multitude of opportunities for photographers. Our Fashion and Beauty Lighting Workshop will break down some of the ways that light works as applied to these two popular genres. You will about using studio strobes and reflectors to creates amazing images The class features a three-hour shoot with ASHLEE KOZUMA!
Fashion and Beauty Lighting Next Workshop Saturday August 16, 2014 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Details here:
13) Are you interested in glamour and boudoir photography? We have the perfect class for you! Our Glamour/Lingerie lighting class will teach you how to use different sized light sources to create the mood and visual interest to keep your viewer engaged in your image. We will also go over basic posing techniques that will flatter your model. The class features a three-hour shoot with our stunning model Naomye Leiza.
Glamour and Lingerie Lighting Next Workshop Sunday September 21, 2014 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue.
Models (from top down): Sharon Sanchez, Angelika Marr, Kaitlyn, Tasha Johnson, Angelika Marr, Thalia Ng, Lyndsay Chambers, Anna Easteden, Kat, Stephanie Reibel, (Skip), Naomye Leiza, Tasha Woodfall, Marisa Kellett, Kat, Sanna, Nikki, Monica Ivey, Kat, Apryle.
Ask about Kama’aina/Military and Alumni Tuition Discounts on all classes except the Oahu Tours! Please note that tuition discounts are based on payment by cash or check. Discounts cannot be combined and are not valid with other offers. There will be a returned check of $40.00. 50% of the tuition for any class plus all model fees are required to reserve your spot in a class. Model fees are non-refundable. Tuition deposits are non-refundable within 72 hours of class.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A 24 HOUR CANCELLATION POLICY. NO REFUNDS FOR CANCELLATIONS WITH LESS THAN 24 HOUR NOTICE. TUITION IS NON-REFUNDABLE ONCE CLASSES BEGIN. MISSED CLASSES IN MULTI-DAY COURSES MAY BE MADE UP IN FUTURE SESSIONS.
Hawaii School of Photography now accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express!
NEW EBOOKS!!! Professional Makeovers for Photographers, Models and Make-up Artists; Photographing Swimwear: Lighting, Composition and Post-production AND On the Set and Behind the Scenes. Each only $10.00 plus tax. NOW Available in the bookstore!
Gift Certificates are now available in the bookstore!
SALES ON ONLINE COURSES, BOOKS, EBOOKS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES ARE FINAL.