E KOMO MAI!!!
Thank you for conducting your “New DSLR” class. I learned a lot! As a retired teacher, principal and faculty member at the UH College of Education, I could see how you apply many of the best practices for effective teaching. Using analogies like windows, blinds, and doors in a room, having your classic Canon camera to demonstrate f stops, allowing us to practice what we just learned in the garden park, all helped to make it easier to understand iso, f stops, shutter speed and white balance.–Fran”
“Hi Stephen! Thank you again for the wonderful class today! I learned so much about my new camera and I cannot wait to practice the new skills! I look forward to signing up for more classes with you. Thank you. –Haneen” (So You Just Bought a New DSLR/SLR, Now What?)
ALOHA and welcome to Stephen Dantzig’s Hawaii School of Photography! We are Hawaii’s only full service photography school that is devoted to commercial photography. Hawaii School of Photography has a program/course for you whether you want to learn how to take better photographs with your point and shoot camera, further develop your understanding of more advanced camera mechanics, learn basic lighting techniques, or advance yourself as a professional photographer. We provide opportunities for you to learn photography in studio or on location here in Paradise as well as offer on-line courses and books/ebooks. You will also find Photoshop lessons, tutorials and courses here. Looking for FREE tips? No problem. Click here to visit our free lessons page! Links to our Newsletters are also on the free lessons page. See our class schedule below or follow the Classes drop down menu for a quick guide to beginner, intermediate and advanced workshops! Please check individual class pages for tuition information. Mahalo!
CONTACT INFORMATION: PLEASE note that email is the best way to contact us with questions about classes or how to register!
BOOK YOUR CLASSES HERE: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/book-online/
Welcome AMAZON LOCAL, LIVING SOCIAL AND GROUPON members!! Please click on the DEALS tab above for instructions on how to redeem your certificates.
Any of our students who are ready to shoot your jobs have their own businesses and fee structures. I will be happy to forward any inquiries on to them with the understanding that they will share their fees and policies for conducting a photography business. Hawaii School of Photography offers no guarantee or warranty and accepts no liability for the work requested from or completed by our current or former students. The faculty of Hawaii School of Photography are also available for commercial shoots.
NEXT LIGHTING CLASS DATE CHANGE! SUNDAY March 23, 2014: FASHION AND BEAUTY LIGHTING FEATURING JOAN DANTZIG Schedule of classes for January to May 2014:
NOTE: MODELS FOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON AVAILABILITY! A minimum of three students is required for all classes except where noted (some classes require more students).
One on One Workshops:
Our classes are by far the best value, but Hawaii School of Photography proudly announces the ultimate in one-on-one photographic education. Private classes are available in blocks of 3-hours for $450.00 per block plus tax. Model fees, if applicable, start at $100.00 per hour plus tax with a two hour minimum. By Appointment.
1) Are you wondering how to work the new Digital SLR camera that you got for the holidays? We will host a three hour overview where you will learn how to find the key controls on your camera and what they do for you. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/so-you-just-got-a-dslr-or-slr-camera-now-what/
So, You Just Got a New DSLR Camera? Now What? NEW CLASS ADDED FOR SUNDAY MARCH 30, 2014 FROM 2 TO 5PM! Saturday Saturday April 26 OR May 3, 2014 from 11AM to 2PM; Sunday April 6 OR May 25, from 2PM to 5PM at Queen Kapiolani Botanical Gardens in Waikiki (space is extremely limited). Minimum of 3 students required. OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS!
2) Are you looking for a class that is a little more in depth? Our 4-day 12-hour Introduction to Digital Photography class is an intense program that will take you from the “nasty green Auto” mode to understanding how and why to fully control your exposure settings in Manual Mode. We cover f-stops in detail, shutter speeds, ISO and how the three relate to each other. We talk about how to use your meter and cover motion as well as depth of field issues. Color concerns, lenses, perspective, and composition guidelines are also covered in detail. We go over issues relevant to protecting and understanding your digital files. Homework assignments allow you to practice what you have learned in class.Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/photography-1-the-basics/
The next Introduction to Digital Photography class will be held on Mondays April 21, 28 May 5 and 12, 2014 from 6 to 9PM in my Downtown Studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Minimum 3 students required!
3) Join us as we explore Hawaii’s amazing Koolau Mountain Range and visit Little Makapuu Beach for a beautiful photo excursion through Hidden Oahu! Details here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/level-one-photography-tours-and-excursions-through-beautiful-hidden-oahu/
Oahu Photo Tour
Regular, Kama’aina, Military and Alumni Tuition: 1-3 participants $450.00 (TOTAL, not per person); 4-6 participants $700.00; 7-10 participants $1,000.00 plus 4.712% GET
NEXT DATE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY from 9:00AM until approximately 2PM–meet at Ho’omaluhia Botanical Gardens Visitors Center parking lot.
4) NEW CLASS! Introduction to Flash Photography! Join Stan Cox II as he unravels the mysteries of using your flash on-camera and off! Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/introduction-to-flash-photography/
The next Introduction to Flash Photography Workshop By Appointment. EMAIL if you are interested—minimum of 4 students required. We will schedule the class when we have at least four participants.
5) Retouching and Post-production is a fact of life in the digital world. Our Introduction To Photoshop Image Enhancement (AKA Retouching) will show you some of our favorite techniques from color correction to removing blemishes or other distractors to working with Layer Masks and multiple “exposures” in the Camera Raw interface to combining images and other goodies! Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/novice-and-beginner-classes/introduction-to-photoshop-retouching/
Introduction to Photoshop Image Enhancement (Retouching) FOUR hour class! Next session: Saturday March 8, 2014 2-6PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue Downtown.
6) Our very popular “Little Lights” class returns with Stan Cox II at the helm for those of you looking to produce professional quality images with speedlights or other small light sources. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/little-lights-big-impact/
Little Lights BIG Impact. By Appointment. EMAIL if you are interested—minimum of 4 students required.
7) We are extremely proud to announce the introduction of our Intermediate Level Photography: Introduction to Light–What it is and How it Works. Photography is the recording of light. This 4 hour program will introduce you to the fundamentals of light and what you need to know to be able to make it work for you–regardless of what you want to photograph. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/36-2/
Intermediate Photography: Introduction to Light Saturday March 15 OR May 10 from 10AM-2PM, Sunday April 13 from 1 to 5PM; at Queen Kapiolani Botanical Gardens in Waikiki (space is extremely limited). OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS!
8) Join Stan Cox II while he shows you his tricks for successfully posing couples, families and groups. NOTE: This class requires a minimum of five participants. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/posing-couples-families-and-groups/
Posing Couples, Families and Groups By Appointment. EMAIL if you are interested—minimum of 5 students required. We will schedule the class when we have at least five participants.
9) NEW CLASS: Introduction to Studio Lighting Learn the basics of light as it applies to studio lighting situations with an emphasis on Portraiture! Class features a live shoot with Ashlee Kozuma!
Introduction to Studio Lighting TBA: INTRODUCTION TO STUDIO LIGHTING featuring ASHLEE KOZUMA Details Here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/introduction-to-studio-lighting/
10) One of our most popular intermediate/advanced classes returns in February 2014 as we go through the logistics of working with and posing models. The class features a simple lighting set-up and a two hour shoot with Sharon Sanchez. Details here! http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/intermedate-level-classes/working-with-models/
Working with Models Next Workshop: TBA in my studio downtown on Nuuanu
11) Creating beautiful fashion images and portraits outdoors all day is a major challenge. Learn how to control natural light and build a lighting set-up that will guarantee great photographs every time—with and without strobes. 8-hour class features a three-hour supervised photo shoot with our beautiful model Sharon Sanchez. OUTDOOR CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO WEATHER POSTPONEMENTS!
Outdoor Lighting Next Workshop Saturday April 19, 2014 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM. Morning session in my studio on Nuuanu and the afternoon session on location. Details here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/advanced-lighting-workshops/one-day-lighting-seminar-on-location/
12) Studio Lighting offers a multitude of opportunities for photographers. Our Fashion and Beauty Lighting Workshop will break down some of the ways that light works as applied to these two popular genres. You will about using studio strobes and reflectors to creates amazing images The class features a three-hour shoot with Joan Dantzig—one of Oahu’s newest and freshest faces!
Fashion and Beauty Lighting Next Workshop Sunday March 23, 2014 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Details here:
13) Are you interested in glamour and boudoir photography? We have the perfect class for you! Our Glamour/Lingerie lighting class will teach you how to use different sized light sources to create the mood and visual interest to keep your viewer engaged in your image. We will also go over basic posing techniques that will flatter your model. The class features a three-hour shoot with our stunning model Naomye Leiza.
Glamour and Lingerie Lighting Next Workshop Sunday May 18, 2014 from 10:00AM to 6:00PM in my studio on Nuuanu Avenue. Details here: http://www.hawaiischoolofphotography.com/about/advanced-lighting-workshops/one-day-lighting-seminar-studio/
Models (from top down): Sharon Sanchez, Angelika Marr, Kaitlyn, Tasha Johnson, Angelika Marr, Thalia Ng, Lyndsay Chambers, Anna Easteden, Kat, Stephanie Reibel, (Skip), Naomye Leiza, Tasha Woodfall, Marisa Kellett, Kat, Sanna, Nikki, Monica Ivey, Kat, Apryle.
Ask about 15% Kama’aina/Military and Alumni Tuition Discounts on all classes except the Oahu Tours! Please note that tuition discounts are based on payment by cash or check. Discounts cannot be combined and are not valid with other offers. There will be a returned check of $40.00. 50% of the tuition for any class plus all model fees are required to reserve your spot in a class. Model fees are non-refundable. Tuition deposits are non-refundable within 72 hours of class.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A 24 HOUR CANCELLATION POLICY. NO REFUNDS FOR CANCELLATIONS WITH LESS THAN 24 HOUR NOTICE. TUITION IS NON-REFUNDABLE ONCE CLASSES BEGIN. MISSED CLASSES IN MULTI-DAY COURSES MAY BE MADE UP IN FUTURE SESSIONS.
Hawaii School of Photography now accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express!
NEW EBOOKS!!! Professional Makeovers for Photographers, Models and Make-up Artists; Photographing Swimwear: Lighting, Composition and Post-production AND On the Set and Behind the Scenes. Each only $10.00 plus tax. NOW Available in the bookstore!
Gift Certificates are now available in the bookstore!
SALES ON ONLINE COURSES, BOOKS, EBOOKS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES ARE FINAL.